Yawn. Don’t bother to read this… It’s whiny crap, and it’s out of date whiny crap. I only bother to post it because it’s cluttering up my drafts bin and WordPress, bless its soul, doesn’t allow you to create private posts (that I can tell).

I spent much of the day in the car on Friday, two weeks ago.

I got up really early and drove about fifty minutes north to a seven a.m. client meeting.

The meeting went really well. A regional AED manufacturer and I met with two representatives of the client. The client already had some older AEDs from my vendor. They were very engaged during the presentation; it was more like a discussion. It seemed like they liked what we had to offer, but they were going to meet with the representatives from another AED manufacturer before they made a final decision. They were interested in a quote, but probably not going to buy until summer. So that seemed positive and I planned to do a quote in the next few days.

I was there about an hour. Then I drove fifty minutes home. On the way home, dispatch toned all of the member departments with a weather update; the storm watch had been upgraded to a storm warning, starting at 1800. Six o’clock, p.m.

When I got to my office, I went through my email. I talked with SuperTech about this and that. I made some calls.

I had been planning to go to Boston for another meeting, drive home and pick up O2, then drive to Philly, spending the night somewhere in the middle. My nephew’s birthday party was scheduled for tomorrow; he’s really into firefighters and I was going to do a fire safety demonstration much like we do for the elementary schoolers for the party. Unfortunately, I had to cancel due to the impending storm. The temperature dropped sharply yesterday and became bitterly cold; forecasts, depending on who was quoting which source, were from a dusting to twenty inches. I figured six to twelve, as far as I could tell. Yesterday I called my sister and asked to postpone. She was disappointed but understanding. Luckily, it was a surprise so my nephew was not disappointed.

My amended plan was to go to Boston and then go work at my paid department, picking up the shift that I had taken off. I called the department and told them I was driving from Boston and would be in late. They were okay with that.

So, then I drove to Boston. It took me about two and a half hours. Just as got to the Massachusetts line, it started to snow. It wasn’t even one o’clock.

By the time I got to my destination, it was coming down hard. I managed to park in a garage in the building I was visiting.

This meeting went sort-of okay. We’ll see. Mum’s the word, though.

So then I left for home. The time was three-forty five. I was about one hundred and thirty miles from home.
It sucked immediately. It took a really long time just to get back on Interstate 93. Like, thirty minutes, maybe. The snow was coming down really hard. I thought it was bad.

It took almost three hours to drive the thirty miles back to the New Hampshire border. The snow fell. Traffic crawled. From time to time, traffic would get up to fifteen miles a hour for a few glorious moments.

At this point I outsmarted myself. I got out my tablet and looked at the map (Microsoft MapPoint, lovely stuff). I could get off at the next exit and head up Route 28. Looked practically rural on the map.

So, I got off the highway. The first mile was great. I really enjoy driving in snow when there’s little traffic. I really do. Vroom! This was great! I’d be at work, maybe by nine. I called work and updated my ETA.

Then I came to an intersection and turned onto Route 28.

Then I spent the next hour in bumper-to-bumper, stop and go traffic, to go two miles.

Most of the time, I’m really happy to drive a car with a manual transmission. Traffic, no. I was really envious of those around me with automatics.

Finally I made it back to the highway, one exit on. In the time that I had been sitting in street traffic, the interstate traffic had sped up a bit. Now it was going as fast as twenty-five with slightly less periods of crawling speeds. The snow was getting really thick.

The snow was heavily building up and icing on the windshield and windshield wipers. It was difficult to see; I could tell everyone around me had the same issues. People were stopping in the roadway, in the roadway, to get out and clear off their windshield wipers. I was able to keep some forward visibility by reaching out the window and around to the front of the windshield and scraping off some of the ice as it would build up on the edge of the window. Then I would catch the windshield wiper when it came up the to leftmost part of its travel, flip it up, and slam it back on the windshield as it started its return trip. Then I’d so it again, four or five times. That would sort of clear it for a few minutes.

The passenger side wiper wasn’t very functional. It was okay; with the blowing snow, you couldn’t see very far, anyway.

It took about another two hours to get to Concord. At Concord, I finally broke down and stopped at a rest area to do a real job of clearing ice off the car. The snow was blowing miserably.

Did I mention that it sucked? Anyway, it took me another hour and forty-five minutes to get home.