I’ve realized that my green pointy hat has been on my head for the majority of codes that I’ve worked.  It’s just coincidental; most of my codes have been in the winter and at work; therefore, since I always wear my green pointy hat at work in the winter, it stands to reason that most of my codes have been worked in that hat.  It sort of lends a grim air to the hat, but so be it…  I guess.

Yesterday I was working at the ambulance company, not the fire department.  I went in for a twelve-hour shift.  The owner of the company was there, working backup at the satellite office out of which I was working.

On Sunday, I had run into one of the managers of the company; he had attended a call in my town (described later) that I first-responded to.  I had told him that I had lost my company baseball cap, and could I have another?  He said that he would send one to the office for me.

When I arrived at work there was a company baseball cap waiting for me.  Though I usually only wear a baseball hat at work when it is not green pointy hat season, because the boss was there, and because I like the boss, I immediately popped off my green pointy hat and put on the baseball cap.  Right in front of the boss, brown nose and all.

As a result, I was wearing my company baseball cap and not my code hat when the tone came in for infant not breathing.

We went tearing across town in two ambulances followed by two police cars.  On the way, I pointed out to my partner (not the boss) that I was not wearing my green pointy hat and thus we should not be responding to a code.

Imagine our relief when we arrived at the home of the one-month-old and found that she had spontaneously started breathing as we arrived.

On Sunday, I responded to a dog-in-the-well/owner-with-chest-pain in my town.  Just as I pulled up on scene in my own truck, I saw the dog owner clutch his chest and fall over backwards in the snow.  It was tense for a few minutes but the guy recovered enough to walk to the ambulance and eventually refuse transport.

While I was in the ambulance, one of the firefighters jumped down into the 8-foot-deep well to lift the dog out.  Once the dog was out, the firefighters  cheered and started to walk back to the trucks with the shivering dog.  Luckily, one of them heard a quiet sound…

“Uh, guys?  I’m still down here!”

In the excitement of rescuing the dog, the rest of the firefighters had started to walk off leaving the rescuer in the well.